K-GMT Science Group (KGSG) invites proposals for observations with MMT, as the cycle 3A of the K-GMT Science Program.
For cycle 3A, Korean community members have access to all the instruments that are normally available on MMT. For a full list of instruments, we advise you to consult the web page of MMT.
- Call for Proposal
Please refer here for the general information of the call for proposals.
- 11:59 p.m. KST, Oct 1st, 2015
For the general guideline of the MMT program, please refer to [this guideline page].
Available number of nights
- ~3 nights
- A brief summary of the MMT current capability
- Instrument overview at MMTO webpage : http://www.mmto.org/node/348
- Our official contact point regarding any questions about MMT and Its instruments is Dr. Jinyoung Serena Kim. She will forward your inquiries to a proper person at Steward or at the MMTO and tries to help the communication goes well. If you know someone at Steward via collaboration or via friendship, then you can ask them directly but please CC her in your email. This also applies if you like to use any PI instruments. You are advised to contact the PI of the instrument through Dr. Kim.
- Proposals will be accepted as far as they satisfy the policy of each telescope. However, Target of Opportunity (ToO) proposals are not allowed (at least for this cycle).
- The available observing modes (classical/queue) are limited depending on their availability and etc. (see below).
Requesting Time Limits
- For telescopes and instruments that support queue mode observations, there will be no limits on requesting time as far as it is within the available nights for a given year (typical range will be from a few hours to a few days). For classical observation, the minimum scheduling block will be one night.
For service mode observations (carried out by observatory staffs) of MMT, the proposer is responsible for a service observing charge (~ $1200 per night; subject to change). Proposals with queue/service mode observations MUST be consulted with KGSG before the submission. Contact us for any inquiry about the service mode observations.
Proposals should be prepared in English following the instruction of each telescope. In addition, a cover page for K-GMT science program, which includes your consent to the K-GMT Science Program guidelines, must be submitted.
Who can submit
- The eligible PI’s of the proposals are researchers affiliated with Korean research institutes or universities. However, at least one researcher affiliated with Korean research institutes or universities holding a position in the level of assistant professors(조교수)/staff researchers(선임연구원) or higher must join the proposal as PI or Co-I.
- If the PI is a graduate student, then his or her supervising professor should join the proposal and must be identified.
How to prepare the proposals
- MMT : Prepare the proposals using the LaTeX template available in the Telescope Proposals page of the university of Arizona.
- MMT : The Scientific Justification section should not exceed 3 pages, including figures and references. The Experimental Design section must be at most one page. Otherwise, follow this guidelines. The size of the resulting pdf file should not exceed 10 Mbyte.
How to submit the proposals
- you should submit the proposal using the web form at kgmt-sp.appspot.com.
Submission using Web form
- Prepare the proposal as described above.
- Fill in the K-GMT Science Program web submission form (which includes a consent to the K-GMT Science Program guideline), attach the pdf copy of the proposal, and submit.
- You should receive an email acknowledgment. Please contact us if you do not receive it within a few working days.
This web form is only supported with modern browser, e.g., IE10, google chrome, firefox, safari, opera, etc.
If you do not agree to some (or all) of the guideline and/or if you have special request (e.g., proprietary period and/or authorship), please describe it in the form with brief justification.
How to Get Help
For any question or comments, please contact us by firstname.lastname@example.org.